Product Development Engineer
This job posting is no longer active.
SUMMARYThe Product Development Engineer supplies management and IPEX facilities with Engineering expertise to develop new products and improve on existing products. Responsible for the design and development of new products using CAD design and verification tools. PRINCIPLE ACCOUNTABILITIES Responsible for Design of New and Improved Products which includes:
- Determining Constraints. Gathering information on internal and external customer needs, manufacturing, target pricing and time frame.
- Understanding the Product Context. Gathering information on target user characteristics, existing product solutions and identifying the tasks needed to complete the project.
- Idea Generation. Brainstorming with on-site mechanical and manufacturing staff to produce viable design solutions.
- Design Evaluation. Questionnaires, semantic differentials and field tests can be employed to help shape design choices.
- Representation. Sketches and 3D objects are presented to demonstrate concepts, details and final designs.
- Developing the solid model from concepts or partially created 2D prints or sketches.
- Design Validation. Performs technical analysis by using CAD, FEA, mathematical models, and physical simulation using prototypes or own approaches to verify strength and/or functionality of part or assembly. Tolerances and assembly specifications are also developed.
- First prototypes made using various methods STL, Layered disposition.
- Using solid 3D models.
- Purchasing and conducting trials with Rapid Tooling.
- Supplying the IPEX plants with the required information for the purchase of traditional tooling; 2D mechanical drawings, 3D solid parts, etc.
KNOWLEDGE & SKILL REQUIREMENTS
- Completion of Bachelor of Engineering Degree; preferably in Mechanical Engineering and a Polymer Process Course.
- 5 – 10 years New Product Development Engineering experience in a plastics industry. Knowledge of injection molding or plastics extrusion would be an asset.
- Knowledge of 3-D solid modeling and FEA software.
- Ability to understand, analyze and validate deformation and stress analysis.
- Creative thinker with analytical, economic analyses, and problem solving skills.
- Effective communicator with presentation and report writing skills.
- Ability to work on multiple projects and meet deadlines.